In the footsteps of an Entrepreneur


Born on the dusty streets of Soshanguve, Pretoria, Rodney Rakimane has become a role model for thousands of people. His incredible drive and passion for business have made this serial entrepreneur a force to be reckoned with. He is not only a savvy businessman but was also recognised as an ambassador for further education. 

We had the privilege to talk to him about his experiences. 

Who taught you about business?

I was fortunate enough to come from a stable family, who have always supported me. They have not always had the same belief as I had, but I put that down to culture. You are expected to finish school, go to University and find a respectable job that pays the bills. But I've always believed that there was more to life than living from month-to-month.


I was fortunate enough to gamble a bit in my early twenties when I started my first business in events and promotions. This company allowed me to meet several amazing people, who not only taught me the finer things about business but also about life.

How did you meet these people?

It is easy to meet people and most people will give you advice. You just need to know what advice to take and how to use it. When I started I was lucky in that we did several events for the Cricket World Cup, which opened doors to meet many successful businessmen and sports people. I was a 20-year-old sharing a table with the great Sir Ian Botham, Sir Vivian Richards, Vincent Sinovich and a host of other successful individuals from around the world. Since then I have been fortunate enough to sit around the table and share thoughts with influential CEO’s and entrepreneurs.

What did these people teach you?

These people teach you more about life and yourself than anything else. You realize that no matter how respected you are, you are still human and will make mistakes. It is easy for business owners and sportsman to walk around with blinkers on. They are trained to think about their targets, their schedules and their goals. Most of the time, they people need to put themselves first to succeed in their field, but the truly successful business people are the ones who are able to create something of value for others.

It is vital to meet people from other cultures and countries. Too many people fight for the same small piece of the pie, not knowing that if they just broadened their horizon, they would learn so much.  It's amazing to sit around the table with someone from Australia, who has a totally different perspective on life than someone from Brazil.
I suppose, in the end, the most important thing I learned from them is to get dressed, get out there and push the limits, no matter how you feel. You will fail, but that will make the success story even sweeter.

What makes you tick?


I do deals. I love deals. Some people run, others paint. I do deals that lead to business opportunities. I do not care if it’s in engineering, sport, law or education. I will create a platform to make a deal. These deals are always done to improve the lives of the community and to make money. That does not mean I always need to win in the deal. Business is making sure that all parties win, otherwise it will be short-lived.

What advice would you give someone who wants to start their own business?

I have always seen a business like a child. You carry full responsibility for it as the creator. You need to be there during the great times as well as the times when everything is falling apart. There are no guarantees in terms of what you are going to get, but it is up to you to make sure you able to make it work. Before you start anything, ensure that other people think it’s a great idea and test it out. I have hundreds of people telling me about their ideas every week. It's easy to believe in your own idea, but is there a need. A good idea is not always a great business idea. Decide if you are the best person to deliver that service or product and if you believe you are, put in the hard yards. Create a business plan which will guide you in your decision making and concentrate on the basics of business.

      
What is the biggest obstacle facing young entrepreneurs?

I believe people want the flexibility and advantages of being a business owner, but they do not fully realise how much hard work it takes. The ability to sell your idea over-and-over to your target market is fundamental to success. 

It takes a lot of hard work to understand the human psyche and understand why people buy something. The administration part of the business is also crucial. People often see other individuals making money and believe it is easy. They forget about the financial principles behind the business.

If you do not have the fight to go all the way, don’t start. It’s a tough road. I have lost everything a couple of times, but I have always learnt from it. They can take away the money and the cars, but if you are honest and loyal, they can never take away your credibility.