Living the dream as an Olympic athlete

  




It is always a long and interesting journey to become an Olympic athlete. How did you get involved with rowing?
 
Rowing started at a late stage at my high school, Willowridge. I was curious about this sport, but never gave it attention. Years later, I found myself as an aupair in Seattle, looking for something to get my cultural exchange credits; and rowing counted as credits. So I took up a learn to row class. Four years later, after many unexpected turns in my life, such as losing my job, and a family death, did I dedicate myself full time to rowing, that would lead me on a 10 year, all-in focus towards becoming an Olympic athlete.

How did you find out that you were going to the Olympics?
 
It was never announced or made a fuss of. Rowing is a very humbling sport, so you keep your head down and do the work. Selections are kept till the last stages, so you are never really sure.

You arrive at the Olympic Village with international superstars? Tell us about that?
 
It was awesome. To have the greats practicing tennis on the courts right as you walk to your hotel. The gym packed with gymnasts and weight lifters. The Jamaican sprinters bounding in the walkways. Boxers sparing in the recreational skateboard bowls and all these athletes with all their country’s cool athletic gear, speaking all these languages buzz and hum together in the dining hall that was the size of 2 rugby fields open 24 hours.

You made the finals in your event. What was going through your mind seconds before the start?
 
Let's do what we do. This is going to be great. Then we look at each other and say: “Ready?" “Ready!"

You came 5th overall. That is amazing. What goes through your mind when its all over?
 
That was not so amazing, for my expectation was gold or a medal at second best. But when it was over, I was stunned. How did we under-perform like that? And there was no other chance to do it again... I thought about the center of the universe swallowing me whole and making this disbelief disappear.  And then I cried in agony for hours and hours, (while being drug-tested) like a bad dream that I couldn’t wake up from.

You have been extremely lucky to live and compete in different parts of the world? What have learnt from the different cultures and lifestyles?
 
I have lived and trained in many countries, but found the lifestyle of an athlete quite similar. The cultural differences don’t seem so different then. Just the way they say it, or hearing it in a different language perhaps. But training is training, and whether its in Turkey or Spain, there is going to be water, a boat, oars and a program. So you learn to adjust quickly and settle in to the new environments, in order to perform and be at your best game over and over again.

Are you still rowing at the moment?
 
Yes, with my last monies I bought a boat. Probably should have been smarter with that money, to help set me up in business or a house. But instead, I have a really nice boat, that I row as recreationally as I can. Yet, always wanting to go back and do it again, but also knowing its time to exercise that exit strategy.

You have always been a big promoter of woman’s sport in this country? Why do you think the country is failing to produce world class sportswoman at the moment?
 
I think its because of what you see more often. That becomes what you believe is your normal. So if you see more men playing sports on TV such as rugby or cricket matches, you assume sports careers are for men and not women. As another example of this: there are much more losers than winners in Lottery, but because only the winners are given media attention, that is what you see and therefore what you believe as truth, is that you win when you buy a lottery ticket. So without more women sports media coverage, the spark won’t be ignited for girls to pursue sports on a world class stage.

What is the biggest lesson you have learnt from being an elite athlete?

I have learnt to be humbled over and over again; and results don’t always reward the hard work and determination you deserve. But that your confidence needs to remain a rock unmoved and unshaken. And you need to forge on, with an ever open heart, keeping true to loving what you do.